Muswell Hill Methodist Church
  activities at Muswell Hill Methodist Churchchurch roundelchapel at muswell hill methodist church  
     
   

ABOUT US

Muswell Hill Methodist Church is part of the New River Circuit, which comprises nine churches across Haringey. There are several ministers in the circuit, and Rev Stephen Poxon and Sister Myrtle Poxon currently share pastoral charge of Muswell Hill along with St Mark's Methodist Church in Tottenham. The New River Circuit is part of the London District of the Methodist Church.

Our mission as a church is to

  • share our faith sensitively with those who are searching for God

  • grow in faith and develop our spiritual life, love of God and life of prayer

  • live our faith in daily life through service to others

  • celebrate our faith in worship that is relevant, lively and participative.

The church is located on the North Bank Estate, which was originally purchased in the 1920s for the use of the Methodist Church by a very active member of the church, Guy Chester, who lived nearby in Hazelhyrst, a Victorian villa on Colney Hatch Lane.

Alongside the church, the Estate now also includes

The Church adjoins North Bank, a large 1860's house in Pages Lane that serves as the centre of our community projects. The house underwent an extensive programme of refurbishment in 2007 to make it suitable for a wide range of activities.

Our History

The Methodist Church in Muswell Hill was founded in 1891, initially meeting in a wooden 'Norwegian Chalet' which had been part of the Alexandra Palace Exhibition. Then, in 1899, a large Victorian church and Sunday School Hall were built in Colney Hatch Lane.

the old Muswell Hill Methodist Church building

In the early 1980s, these buildings were found to have major structural defects. Rather than invest huge amounts of money to maintain a large Victorian building, the decision was taken to sell the land, and to build a new church on the North Bank Estate. This combines a lovely, peaceful area for worship with more flexible ways of using the space. Continuity with the old church has been maintained by the imaginative use of much of the stained glass. The huge cross window is made up of smaller windows from the side walls. The emphasis is on faith and service to God being completely integrated, so each window has a scene from a Bible story, together with a scene showing how the same principles are worked out in practice.

Our Inheritance, written to mark the reopening of North Bank, brings together historical information about North Bank and Muswell Hill Methodist Church.